Strong character is continuously taught, modeled, and required. We consistently champion our CLIMB values of Civlity, Leadership, Integrity, Mastery, and Being our Best. Read more
Student Supports Coordinator Job Description
The Student Supports Coordinator will be held accountable by the Executive Director and Director of Curriculum and Instruction in regard to their performance and growth, student achievement, and the support of students with exceptionalities. The Student Supports Coordinator is entrusted with advancing the mission of the school through the administration of learning plans, interventions, student supports, responsiveness to feedback provided and collaboration with the Director of Curriculum and Instruction on areas of instructional and/or curricular need at the school. Subject to funding resources, the average salary for the Student Supports Coordinator will be $54,000, competitive with the local school district and other charter school salaries.
Qualifications of the Student Supports Coordinator
- Strong commitment to, belief in, and alignment with mission and vision of school
- Designated as "highly qualified" in accordance with the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001 and hold a Louisiana state teacher certification in Special Education
- Master’s Degree in Special Education or Education Leadership
- Have a minimum of 2 years of successful classroom teaching experience in an urban school setting as a special education teacher
- Demonstrate an advanced understanding of instructional strategies for students with autism, developmental delay, specific learning disabilities, and behavior disorders
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Demonstrate strong skills in partnering with families.
- Experience or familiarity analyzing data and using data to inform decisions and/or instruction
- Strong organizational skills
- Openness to feedback, desire to continue development as professional, and willingness to take responsibility for student outcomes and achievement
Responsibilities of the Student Supports Coordinator
- Embody mission and vision of school
- Teach and enforce school-wide systems, rules and consequences, disciplinary codes, and rewards at all times
- Provide engaging, motivating, and rigorous instruction in whole-class and individual settings.
- Provide academic support and tutoring to small groups or individual students as needed/scheduled
- Overseeing / managing a caseload of special education students and the implementation of their IEP/504 plans in: inclusive, self-contained and pull-out settings
- Ensuring appropriate delivery of both special education instruction and related services as stipulated on IEPs/504 plans
- Ensuring compliance by the school with all local and Federal laws and regulation relating to students with IEPs/504 plans and students referred to special education
- Ensuring that services provided by contractual personnel are of high quality, provided in the LRE, and are aligned with students’ IEPs/504 plans
- Effectively communicating to parents and guardians the special education process including process for referrals, evaluations, annual IEPs/504 plans, and re-evaluations as well as parental rights granted by IDEA
- Facilitating IEP meetings using a strengths based and family centered approach
- Analyze student achievement data in collaboration with Director of Curriculum and Instruction and Executive Director
- Implement data tracking system and use data to inform instructional development and delivery.
- Communicate regularly and proactively with students and families
- Coordinating with student’s special education team to ensure all documents are completed in a timely manner (according to state, local, and school policies and procedures) prior to MDT meeting. Connect with special education team to ensure all team members (including parents) are prepared for the content of the meeting
- Coordinating with special education team to complete quarterly IEP progress reports and provide quarterly IEP progress reports to parents/guardians
- Maintaining student files (paper and electronic) according to school and DOE standards
- Providing training and technical assistance to case managers, teachers, related service providers and support service professionals on all aspects of cases management: use of computer systems for the special education process, writing of goal writing, progress reports, annual reviews and parent communication
- Ensuring IEPs are developmentally appropriate, curriculum/standards -based, strength based, and relevant to individual students
- Working to maintain school tracking and data system that includes: student information related to IEPs, services, service hours, evaluations, MDT referrals, time lines in which evaluations were competed and discipline incidents documented
- Supporting the planning of special education initiative and the implementation of initiatives. Integrates new developments, research findings and best practices into ongoing programs and new initiatives
- Identifying and develops appropriate curriculum and school based assessments to support the academic growth of students with IEPs/504 plans
- Gathering and report data for all reporting requirements concerning students with IEPs/504 plans and other required reports (to the State, Department of Education, census, grant applications, annual report, etc.)
- Maintaining a high level of knowledge regarding developing special education issues such as changes in federal and local special education policy
- Advocating for special education with school leadership
- Establishing and maintaining communication with parents of students in the program
- Facilitating workshops / meetings for parents, as well as identifies resources for parents of students with special needs
- Engaging parents and families in their student’s learning and acting as an ambassador for the school in the community
- As appropriate connecting with student’s outside providers, pediatricians, and therapists to support student’s needs in classroom
- Maintaining confidentiality of student records and student information
- Draft student report cards and revise as required
- Collaborate with other staff members and actively participate in all professional development and learning activities
- Work to continuously improve effectiveness in all instructional practices, using school’s teacher performance rubric as a guide
- Use feedback to make productive changes in performance
- Complete all administrative requirements before given deadlines
- Participate in additional activities including field trips, intensive academic support sessions, and other required programs as needed throughout year
- Other duties as assigned
If you are interested in pursuing a career at Apex Collegiate Academy, please click here to apply.
Core Subject Mastery
Our students are prepared to excel on national assessments. Through systematic analysis of student performance data, teachers are able to continuously improve student achievement.. Read more.
Our curriculum is designed to prepare our students for success in college and life. Aligned to national standards with an enhanced focus on math and literacy, we provide all students with access to STEM enrichment classes. Read more.